Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Diet Soda and the South


For some reason, unbeknownst to me, it is exceedingly difficult to find good diet sodas in the South.

When I lived in the Midwest, I had a plethora of diet sodas to choose from, and I kept the rotation fresh. Fresca, Diet Rite Red Raspberry, Diet Rite Kiwi Strawberry, Diet Cherry 7up, Diet Cranberry Gingerale, Diet Sprite, Diet Sunkist... the list went on and on. Christ, I could even get Tab if I really wanted it.

And then I moved to the South. Where I have a choice of what appears to be Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.

Yes, there are a few others-- the south seems to be big on Diet drinks of the Cola variety. I can get Diet Rite cola and Diet Dr. Pepper too. And there are the Diet "locals"-- like Diet Wink and Diet Cheerwine.

My problem is the caffeine. I only drink diet sodas that are caffeine free at night so that I don't stay awake.

Recently one of my two grocery stores (there are two within 2 miles of my house) started carrying a little wider variety. I wonder if this had anything to do with me complaining to the customer service desk repeatedly about not finding any variety. I have managed to find Diet Rite Red Raspberry now-- but they are fickle about stocking it.

And then last night I found it.

Diet Squirt.

Quite possibly the best diet soda ever! Very grapefruity. Very tart and tangy. Refreshingly crisp. I love it! It SO completely kicks Fresca's ass it isn't funny.

I very nearly bought the entire stock of fridge 12-packs tonight (there were three). But I didn't-- why deprive others of the joy that is Squirt.

Plus, from a gay man's perspective- the name rocks.

6 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squirt is a pretty funny name for a soft drink. Maybe I should start a new brand called Diet Spunky.

And you are right about the Midwest being full of diet drinks - Tab rocks.

Thanks for making me laugh outloud today.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it possible that there is no Squirt to be found in NYC? ...Maybe it's just too difficult to ask for it at the counter.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger patrick said...

No Squirt in NYC? Really? I wonder if we can order it on a website? Or Ebay?
I'm really tired of Diet Dr Pepper, which I do love, but it's all I drink when it comes to soda.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

I guess I'm spoiled about my diet soda choices...I can always go with my Mom to the commissary on base (they usually have a wide variety).

I love Diet Coke with Splenda or Diet Mountain Dew.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

In FL they now have all the Diet Rite flavors, plus Diet Barqs. Also Sierra Mist Free is quite tasty and not very diety tasting.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger A Lewis said...

It is a little tough to find all of the good things in life in the south.....but they definitely have some yummy stuff down that way! As for Diet Squirt (hehehe....I love writing that), it is super good and yummy....especially with alittle vodka and a mint spring (god, do I sound gay or what?). We've got Diet Creme Soda here too....which is one of our favorites

 

Post a Comment

<< Home