Saturday, May 19, 2007

Noone Mourns the Wicked


The woman who made my life an absolute hell for the past 9 months at work is leaving, and I can't say I'm that broken up about it.

She honestly was very difficult to get along with. Sometimes nice as pie, sometimes absolutely cruel and sadistic. All that was missing from her was the pointy hat and the green skin (I swear to Buddha she had a broom and a crystal ball stashed somewhere in that office!)

She was famous for working my last nerve- on just about a daily basis. On a lot of points I would actually agree with her philosophy-- but then she would take that philosophy in her iron claw, crunch it up tightly, and then insert it into one of my orifices. My biggest pet peeve was that she just wouldn't listen to me when I would offer suggestions or alternatives. It was her way only, and she made sure you felt every inch of 'that way'. And she wasn't my direct boss, but she sure acted like it with all the delegation she directed at me.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted her to get her comeuppance. And now she is.

Oddly enough, I do have a kernel of guilt about her leaving. I don't think it was a decision that was entirely her own-- and our department probably had something to do with that. DId I give her enough of a chance? (Yes, I think so). But in a twisted way I think her departure is a shame.

I work in an intensely 'good ol' boy' environment. It is predominantly white male, with narry a woman or person of color in sight (except for Indians--but they only get to be engineers). And no fags (Allah help them if there were an honest to goodness homoxule working there!)

I am a big proponent of diversity in the workplace... and where I work isn't so diverse. At least in the upper echelons. And mid-echelons. And my group.

Now the only problem I face is... what's going to take her place?

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger madhousesix said...

now cb be honest, there were a bunch of black guys working there the day i visited....

of course they were linemen... but still.

lot's o' diversity on the line.

(not sure you call it a line there, but in our plant, it's a line - you know what i mean)

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Red Seven said...

Interestingly enough, I am a diversity educator and consultant; it's my job to help workplaces get better at this -- just 'tween us girls, unless there's something really good keeping you there, I'd high-tail your gay self to a company with a better diversity profile if I were you. They're more successful in the marketplace and way more fun to work for ...

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger kevin said...

cb
Im gonna be applying for a job at your workplace in order to bring some diversity to the place!

I will allow all the male employees to interview me one on one on one on one (ahem)

love hugs and a sloppy wet kiss to you.

Kev in NZ

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Be careful what you wish for, CB. After all, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home