Sunday, May 13, 2007

Date Nite

I had a date on Saturday night--- but first let me tell you about 'game night' on Friday.

My friends here in NC occasionally host what we call "game nights". The primary purpose of game night is to get together and have laughs and drink and generally make fools out of ourselves playing party-time board games. The second (and more insidious) purpose of game night I am convinced is to give couples a great way of showing off their coupledom to their single friends... AND to create a social activity away from 'the bars'.

At said game night were the following people: BillnAustin (the hosts), StephanienGreg, RobnJonathan, FranknLarry, and Narissa and of course me. Narissa and I naturally get paired together on teams because we are single. I love her- as she is a sarcastic, smart, competitive, trash-talking (yet in a nice way), heavyset, heterosexual black girl (aka fag hag).

While playing the games and watching all of the (cr)happy couples I suddenly realized that I am the gay equivalent of a fag hag. Fun, and nice enough, but always single. What the hell am I called-- fag stag? fag gag??

Game night was fun, but also a bit depressing as everyone left in their respective coupleness to go do couple things.

Anyway...

So I got online and whored a bit that night after I got home. And online was a very nice guy with whom I started a chat. My age, stocky build, published music composer (wow!), likes rollercoasters, midwestern breeding stock, well educated, etc. Pretty interesting bait, so I bit.

Naturally he's from Michigan and only visiting.

We actually did the "phone test" that night and chatted for over an hour about a whole myriad of things-- not just sex stuff. We agreed to meet on saturday evening after he had finished work. Sushi was had (what better way for two fags to start a date than to put raw fish in their mouths), beer was had, and then I took him back to my place.

He shared some of his music with me (contemporary vocal stuff-- christian bent, but also classical in a way, i liked it) and I got up the nerve to share my music with him. He was insanely helpful by actually studying my scores and offering suggestions on percussion scoring/writing, notation things, and he also had ideas about possible things to add. He actually listened to it as someone who is a composer and who has studied film scoring as USC and stuff.

Then we shagged.

Well, not 'shagged' per se, but we made out with some 'lower' making out. But not much happened all things considered. He was tired. I was tired. We then watched "Night Listener"--which was kind of a freaky movie-- and then he left to go back to his friend's house where he was staying. At this point, I know he's on a plane back to Michigan.

A good date, but no future, which is fairly usual for me. We agreed to keep in touch, and I think it is a good thing for me to actually know a published composer- and not just for the free advice either. But mostly for the free advice.

Now its Sunday, and I'm back to being a 'fag gag'.

8 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is inevitable that single gay guys will find themselves amidst their gay partnered buddies. I have a dear friend, something of a serial dater, but more often between than with! He is a great guy,and I love him so very much, but I think he feels this angst re being single and has at times not participated, but choose to go a whoring!!!

I wish he would just be relaxed in our company, I ..we accept him as he is, we do so when he is with someone, and when he isn't, that's what real freinds do. Fag gag...must try that one out on him lmao.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real question is -- was he Bounty worthy?

Fag Stag - I love that! You come up with the best shit.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Def a poopstabbee Fag Stag. I am with you, as much as I enjoy spending time with gay couples I'd usu rather opt for the single boys. For me it is just a lack of connection sometimes, I feel like we just don't get each other. The NL is a great book. And that sounds like a rather odd hook up, more like a night of intimacy, which is great as well.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a single gayboy myself, I can relate. All my friends are "we" people - "We" went here, "We" did this and that - ugh. But at least you got a shag out of it. Was he at least Swallow Worthy?

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger John said...

I think you might rethink the assumption that your coupled friends are "showing off" their coupledom. I'm sure some people do it, but in my experience, it's not the norm. The fact is, if you're a couple - past the dating, into the partner stage - you do have a life together. You might prefer events like game night because honestly, once you take the "maybe I'll get lucky" excitement out of it, going to the bars is fun as an occasional thing only.

Question: do you ever have dates like that one with local guys? I'm just thinking of my own single days, when (in retrospect) logistical unavailability made it easier to relax and enjoy a guy, and left me wondering why that never happened with the local guys.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Your date sounded like a great guy. Too bad he wasn't a local.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger cb said...

I think its awfully 'convenient' for the couples to create events where they don't have to go out, yet get some social benefit.

I think its crappy that they not only get to be a "we" but they also get to avoid the bar for social entertainment.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger cb said...

Oh and Kyle from 'stageright-stageleft' has recently become a 'we'.

We are going to dinner. We went to a movie. We are out shopping... etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home