Thursday, May 17, 2007

Evicted.

Recently I discovered that I had a wee, sleekit, cowr'in, tim'rous houseguest. At some point, a mouse had decided to become my roommate of sorts.

I discovered him, when he ran part of the way into my TV room, looked at me, then ran back out and down my hall. Seriously freaked my ass out a little bit as it was most unexpected.

I named him "Philippe".

Now, I'm not too afraid of mice- but that doesn't mean that I want him living in my house, chewing up my walls, and running across my feet when I least expect it. I wanted Philippe gone.

But I also couldn't kill him.

I don't do 'death'. I never kill things on purpose if I can avoid it (exception: roaches and those nasty jumping crickets). In my house, spiders and all manner of other creatures experience a 'live and let live' attitude. Many times I'll catch my visitors and release them outside.

So I went to Lowes and purchased one of the 'live catch' traps. I was skeptical as to whether it would work-- with the spring loaded metal trap door contraption, etc it looked complicated and somewhat doubtful that a mouse would enter it.

I baited the trap and placed it in my living room (adjacent to my kitchen) and waited. I checked the trap for 3 days and nothing.

And then yesterday afternoon I got home, was getting ready to go work out and I thought, "hey, i'd better check the trap." I picked it up and lo! Philippe was inside!

So I walked the trap outdoors, away from my house to a wooded area in my neighborhood, and then slid the cover back. Phillippe was naturally scared (and stinky!) but with a little shake of the box he sprang out of there like his tail was on fire and his ass was catching!

I do feel a bit guilty now- as I am imagining Philippe moving from a nice, safe environment to 'the wild' where owls and other predators can get him. But I really didn't want him in my house.

Oh, and I've reset the trap- just in case there is a Philippe II.

8 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

I'd send you my cat but she only gets half the job done. Yesterday it was a baby bunny that was half dead. Talk about a catch 22. Do I whack it over the head with a shovel and finish the job, or let it suffer until it croaks on its own? I chose to let it suffer more because I couldn't bring myself to do the deed. I told myself it was nature's way. That excuse provided a little salve for my guilt.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger evilganome said...

There is no such thing as one mouse. They are sort of like cockroaches. Good luck, and I hate to say it but you might think about the exterminator. If you get a cat, get a female. Tom's just look at the mice and ask them to go get a beer out of the fridge since they're up already.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CB, Evilganome is right. There is no such thing as one mouse. If Phillipe happened to be female, you just may have a family of mice somewhere in your house. Cats are cool, but do you really need your pet presenting you with a dead bloody mouse carcass as a trophy? Call an exterminator.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Naw, mice are fine (although I killed thousands in my research career). Keep the trap, check it every once in a while. But make sure you release them far away or they will be back.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger cb said...

I will be continuing with the more humane treatment of live traps, and also sonic noise thingies.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Here's hoping that Philippe was the "scouting party" and not the last in a long line of rodent squatters.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Be careful ... we had a couple mice down here in Orlando ... and now look -- they took over the whole damn Kingdom.


ba dum bum

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Heh. That's too cute of a story. Hope Philippe is safe tho. Poor thing. Evicted is right. ahaha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home