Thursday, April 19, 2007

Jury Duty Thursday


So in the midst of all my many crises, I got a summons to Jury Duty.

My presence was requested at 8:30 am on this date, April 19th, 2007 at the Judicial Building in downtown Durham to potentially serve my civic duty and take part in jurisprudence. Here are some notes on my jury duty day....

First of all, the 8:30 am time was more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule, as the judicial building doesn't even open until that time. Then there's the process of herding everyone through a metal detector and x-ray scanner. Then the checkin process. Then sitting and waiting.

I will say that I saw a TON of fucking HOT sheriffs and deputies walking around in brown unis with guns and shaved heads and... woof! However, the jury pool did not contain a single hot guy. Or anyone else identifiably gay for that matter.

We eventually watched a lovely and informative video on the workings of the court system in NC. It was informative, and the police/bailiff actors were hunky hot on the thing. (God, I'm such a horny devil!) During the video I learned that NC uses a one day, one trial system. After which we would have the guarantee of not being called again for at least 2 years.

Then there was roll call and more sitting.

Shortly after 10 am, however, the clerk announced to us that out of court settlements had been reached and our services were no longer necessary. We were all dismissed.

I must say I'm a fraction disappointed by this, as I was daydreaming about sitting in a jury box, gazing at hunky bailiffs and prosecuting attourneys, and becoming the jury foreman, and taking notes, and seeing the Ally McBeal process of the whole thing.

But I do have a free day now, as I do not feel compelled to return to work after the excrutiating jury duty process.

*On an unrelated note, i should have my water issue fixed by thursday, I've arranged nearly all of my father's golf outings, the gutter guy is coming to give me a quote today, and I scheduled a car service appointment for next friday.

Perhaps the scales of justice are tipping in my favor??

6 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger madhousesix said...

did you wear an ally mcbeal super short skirt? i bet that would have attracted the gazes of the hunky balifs.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Massachusetts has the same One Trial One day rule as well. I was choosen for pre-trial questioning and was dismissed, because I had to explain to the judge that I had a "personal relationship" with the prosecuting attorney. I "did" him in a park a few years earlier. LOL

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

I searved Jury Duty here in Onslow County about a month or two ago. Great to hear you did your civic duty for at least 2 years...hopefully that "good karma" will pay some dividends to you. ;)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger kevin said...

We dont get the luxury of being exempt for 2 years once we've been called!

Im probably due for another recall soon.

Kev in NZ

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger cb said...

Kevin, I'm sure that's because you have like 12 people in your entire country... so you have to be used more than once.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, seeing as how the county of Durham didn't give a hot shit about my lack of childcare resources, it's good to know that other than the time I spend wasting away downtown tomorrow the trial itself will be short. Needed that info - thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home