Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cut-A-Head


Behold Magnum! I cut his hair yesterday.

Background: Ok, so Kyle over at stagerightstageleft works for a prominent hair product manufacturer. They do other stuff too, but a lot of it revolves around hair. And they have all these fake 'practice' heads lying about. In fact, Kyle blogged about ordering these heads (I need 10 Kates, 5 Mellissas,etc)- he also spoke about carting them around in a bag.

One time I got a box from him- probably for my birthday- and inside, among other things, was one of these heads. This particular head is called Magnum. When I received him, he looked like Jesus-- only shaggier. I wish I had taken a "before" picture for contrast- but perhaps Kyle will post one for me. Truly his hair was like a foot long and his beard was many inches long. Uggh. NOT a good look to be sure.

Fast Forward: So this head sits in my closet for months. But recently I got Magnum out in order to train a baseball cap. And after all this cap training, Magnum looked rough. He had hat hair galore, and he was looking rather nappy. Which reminded me that I myself was getting nappy-- so I cut my hair yesterday.

And when I finished cutting my hair, I realized that I just HAD to do something with my little buddy's hair too. So I sat on the edge of my bathtub and started in on his head.


Let me just say that it was HARD cutting that much hair with a pair of dimestore scissors and a pair of wahl clippers. That and the fact that the head isn't attached to anything. I think that for real students, the heads are supported on a stand or something. I had to hold his head between my knees while I was trying to comb out the tangles (evidently Mr. Magnum hadn't ever heard of a brush).



I basically just hacked away at the long mane until it was a manageable length. Then I washed his hair-- ok, so really I just got it wet-- after the preliminary cut so that i could better comb it and try that whole comb-it-and-hold-it-between-your-fingers-to-cut-it thing. Yeah, that didn't work so much.

So I freehanded it. And these pictures show my results. Not bad huh? Its a bit Barry Gibb, updated to at least the early 90's in style. With no training I managed to take his hair from 1 BC to 1990 AD. And Magnum kinda got hot, didn't he?

Now I have something to practice kissing on...

5 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger cheapblueguitar said...

He looks very "Team America World Police" :-)

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he totally looks team america: "america, fuck ya!"

ok, this is seriously cracking me up... i'm actually checking blogs from our cosmotology institute where we are having a training for 200 of our educators on our latest looks and trends - we have fuckloads of people working on heads even as we speak....

and yes cb, there is a stand - it's either a clamp that's affixed to a tabletop or a camera tri-pod that has been retrofitted with a head post.

seriously laughing here.

good job.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger cb said...

I thought I did a GOOD job.... :-(

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

You did a great job, cb! Hell, I might even let you cut my hair. ;)

Magnum is quite the hottie!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Okay, this is weird. I have the exact same head here. I brought it home from my day job planning to make a "two-headed Dave" costume for Halloween or Mardi Gras, but couldn't quite figure out how to attach it. Maybe next year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home