Thursday, February 22, 2007

Attack of the Rainbows


Ok, so yesterday must have been Rainbow Day or something. Not only did I see one in the morning when I arrived at work (created by the newly risen sun), but I also got to see one on the way home from work made by the setting sun.

As I was driving home, I encountered a light, misty rain shower-- but the sky was clear to the west. So I looked east and lo! A beautiful rainbow was keeping pace with me as I drove.

And this rainbow was extraordinarily bright and well defined. Not only that, due to the angle of the sun and the proximity of the rain shower, it appeared as if this particular rainbow was coming right down to the ground about 50 yards away from my vehicle. No pot of gold was visible, but I didn't get out of my vehicle to properly check.

This rainbow was close though! I swear that I saw this rainbow pass in front of more distant trees and houses and such during my drive, and I was able to view said objects THROUGH the colors of the rainbow. Very bizarre!

When you stop to think of the physics behind the light refraction when sunlight and water droplets align just so... well, rainbows are a pretty fucking cool phenomenon.

Not that I'm gonna get all rainbowy-unicorny on y'all.

3 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Have you ever (and I'm sure you have) seen a double rainbow? Those to me are amazing.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

I love rainbows...but not in a "touchy-feely" way. They're just so darn cool...and with all our Spring thunderstorms, I get a chance to see them quite often.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

I love rainbows...but not in a "touchy-feely" way. They're just so darn cool...and with all our Spring thunderstorms, I get a chance to see them quite often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home