Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Its ON, like Donkey Kong!


Earlier today I called up the director of our concert band. I had agreed to call him when I got back into town after the holidays. This Saturday we are doing a 3 hour 'new music reading rehearsal'. This is a fun rehearsal where we read through old and new music (both hard and easy) in order to experience as much music as possible that we may never get the chance to perform. He asked me if my composition was ready-- and it sort of is. So, this weekend we will be sight-reading the first two movements of my suite for concert band.

I am now officially scared shitless.

I knew that this was a possibility (and a goal of mine) all through the holidays, so I worked on getting the music ready and the parts prepared. But now its a reality and I'm extremely nervous. What if I didn't score things correctly or its too hard to play or it is in a difficult range for an instrument? What if the balance or instrumentation is poor. Or what if it just plain sounds terrible??

Also, what if the transposition instruments got all fucked up? I don't know-- there are so many variables. I really don't want to go to this much work only to play the first 4 bars and discover that its a trainwreck.

Don't get me wrong, I know SORT OF how it sounds. The music program I have actually plays back the piece with synthesized sounds so it gives me a good idea. But it isn't quite like the real thing.

Anyway, I spent about an hour today using the facilities at work to produce some xerox copies in preparation for the event. I'm still going to need to visit Kinko's for some good ol' fashioned copying, but I'm nearly ready.

And now I wait. Oh, and don't get any ideas about copying my music-- the piece at the top is NOT mine.

4 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger cheapblueguitar said...

This is so exciting! I can't wait to hear how it went.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Very cool - this is good news.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger madhousesix said...

as someone who has heard the "synthisized" piece i can tell you all it's quite good. i can't wait to hear the real thing

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I'm very excited for you. I'm sure it's great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home