Saturday, February 10, 2007

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me...

I listen to NPR. A lot.

Whenever I'm in my car (and not on a long trip with my iPod) I turn on NPR. I really enjoy "All Things Considered" and the news of course. And there is nothing quite as nice as hearing a british accent doing the BBC World News report. And Car Talk rocks. Splendid Table is interesting. (I do hate Prairie Home Companion though... fuck Garrison Keillor. Fuck him right in the ear!)

And then there's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

I love this show! It usually makes me laugh out loud in my car, so much so that other drivers give me odd looks. I have a soft spot for topical geopolitical humor. And they always have good commedians and interesting guest stars.

Today they had Paula Poundstone on-- MAN is she quick witted! She was johnny on the spot with so many timely quips that I was rolling out of my bucket seat! Seriously, the woman is fucking funny! And so is the host announcer Peter Sagal.

When they were riffing on a bit about the republicans bashing Pelosi for wanting a big plane so that she could get to Californina with no stops, Paula jumped in with "well if she would consider wearing a diaper during the flight, I bet she could make it without stopping..."

Priceless!

Later on during the quiz portion, Peter was riffing on how FOX news was trying to discredit Barak Obama because he smokes the occasional cigarette but keeps that a secret. His main rebuttal to Fox news was that he was enjoying the occasional marlboro red-- and not smoking black tar heroine out of the skull of a dead puppy.

I about shit myself at the imagery! That type of quick wit really cracks me up.

5 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger kevin said...

I have never heard of NPR. I guess it is a radio station! In fact i will look it up and see if i can play it over the internet.

I hope you are having a great weekend over there in 'Bush' Land

Kev in NZ

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, National Baghdad Radio...or White Guilt Radio, as I affectionately call it.

It has become so one sided, it is hardly worth thinking of there journalism.

However, some of their shows are thought provoking and entertaining.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger cb said...

Well, considering the conservative Fox News audience is far larger and bombarded not only by audio but carefully planned video images as well, you tell me which group is worse.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh - both? Journalism isn't supposed to be on either side. It's supposed to report facts in a balanced and objective manner.

Wait - there aren't any more decent papers...the Tribune sucks monkey nuts (a bad thing) and the Washington Post has gotten really bad. The NYT is the hold out but really...what's that saying?

I mean - really, just because there is only crap to accept as a source of news doesn't mean I have to like it. As long as I can call it crap, that's fine:)

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

I love NPR...along with PBS. It was NPR that lead me to read all of David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home