Thursday, February 01, 2007

Snow Day

The forecast today was for a "wintery mix" throughout the central and northcentral part of North Carolina today. Thus, its a madhouse.

All schools closed for today- and this was announced last night. This was based on the 'threat' of snow and ice for today. So far, when I left for work around 6:45 am, it wasn't doing shit.

Then about 8 am, it snowed here at work... for 30 whole minutes. It barely showed up on the grass. Then it quit. And of course now it isn't doing anything, no sleet, no rain, no nothing.

Thank goodness the kiddies are out of school and safe. I mean, those clouds sure are scary-looking... like they might cause trouble.

People go absolutely nutters down here if snow gets mentioned- literally a panic ensues. There is a run on the grocery stores for bread and milk (sometimes eggs too). I'm not kidding; there will be no bread or milk in any of the grocery stores now. Its as if everyone in the state got a sudden craving for french toast or something.

What a mess. But better to be safe than sorry like 2 years ago when we got about a half inch of snow and it paralyzed Raleigh. Kids were honest to God spending the night at their schools because parents and schoolbuses couldn't get them home.

How embarassing.

6 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger SYNRGY said...

Welcome To The South LOL

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DC is the same - 1/4 inch of snow and every SUV on 95 was off the road, crazed from their hording of food.

What a joke.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

Well, at least you got to see some "white stuff". Here on the southeast coast, all we got was a bitterly cold rain.....ALL DAY. It was enough to induce suicides.

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a well-known fact that snow makes people crave french toast. Pot makes people crave pop-tarts, and heroin makes people crave Taco Bell.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I lived in Highlands, NC for a while back in 95. Being from Florida originally, I never experienced anything like the winters there. Hated it. Hated the the place with it's borish/snobbish population, too. One winter, the entire, freakin' town was without power for one, solid week. Anyway, I can see where some of the panic comes from. I live in New England now and when there's a mention of snow, I kinda go over this list in my head - much like I did for hurricanes in Fla. Not sure where I found your blog, by the way, but I've been checking in from time to time.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Don't get me started.

Although we had tornados last night and it wiped out a bunch of stuff just slightly north of me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home