Saturday, January 27, 2007

The B-52's


I rediscovered the B-52's yesterday.

I was looking through my CD collection (albeit very quickly) to find something to put in the car on my way to go work out. I got as far as the B's... that's where I saw my large B-52's collection. "I haven't listened to Cosmic Thing in forever," I thought to myself. So I grabbed it an off I went.

I had forgotten how good that album is.

Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure what about the B-52's resonates so deeply with me. They are kitschy and campy and fun- perhaps that's it. They are unique too, having survived so well with a male lead singer that doesn't really sing so much as speak in an affected voice. Maybe they stuck with me during college with the whole "Rock Lobster" vibe. Maybe I like their sense of musical humor. But actually I think its because that underneath the beehive hairdos and the funky clothing are real musicians. Sure their earlier albums were a bit 'thinner', but they were still very musical.

And then they hit their stride with Cosmic Thing. Granted they "sold out to the man" a bit and shrugged off a bit of their campiness. But they kept the fun aspect to their music, all while fleshing out the songs into lushness. Maybe it was because they had gotten older and wiser and didn't think the beehives fit anymore. I don't know.

But I do know that I love the album "Cosmic Thing". I think one of my very favorite songs is "Dry County". It just grooves for days.

I'm not obsessed with the group, but I do love them and own just about all their albums. I also regret never having seen them in concert. And I'm so glad that I rediscovered this love yesterday. I've been bopping my head and singing in my car along with Kate and Cindy. Its been fun and put me in a good mood.

K-dog over at stageright-stageleft has a couple artists that he is big on (Prince, Kate Bush, and Peter Gabriel). I guess the B-52's are the closest that I can come to his musical crushes.

Shake it til the butter melts, bitches.

6 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger madhousesix said...

channel z is my fav off cosmic thing. one of my favorite eco-tunes

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

I love the B-52's! This is one of my favorite of their songs (musically, not artistically)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqS1vk-OuS4

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Private Idaho and Rock Lobster.

.


Ray

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Joshua said...

Man I used to love the B52's!!!! I think my fave is, "The Deadbeat Club."

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I was going to say Deadbeat Club too! I got to see them live back in college and it was one of the most fun concerts I've ever been to. I can still remember Fred Schneider singing "Wanna Make Love To You Under The Strobe Light" into a giant telephone receiver. Good times.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Oh man, now I need to go pull my cassette tape out and listen to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home