Sunday, December 10, 2006

the many faces of...


I snapped this picture this morning. This is me with hair- which I tend to have in the winter months. Plus I'm doing the "Captain Morgan" goatee thingy. AND I'm sporting my 2+ year old glasses that seem to get more positive compliments than I can shake a stick at. Go figure. Perhaps I should update the prescription and get some antiglare coating, huh?

Thank God-Buddha-Allah-Siva for creating NPR. I listen to it while driving (just like my parents-- I'm slowly turning into them!). But this morning i was treated to a story about Jonathan Coulton and his little project.

It seems that Jonathan decided to quit his day job as a software engineer and write one song per week for an entire year. He called it his Thing-A-Week project. The man is quite simply amazing! They were interviewing him this morning and I became absolutely entranced.

Yes, I think his songs are that good. Especially "Code Monkey" from like week 29 or something. Evidently this song has made the internet loop already- like 5 months ago, and I'm just catching the wave now. Better late than never, because the song is brilliant.

He wrote the song about his toiling away as a code writer (monkey),working in a cube, having a miserable life. Its fun and poignant at the same time. And catchy. And lyrically brilliant as he sings in broken, caveman english about "Code monkey wake up.... code monkey go to job. Code monkey go to stupid meeting with stupid boss, Rob. Code monkey not stupid, just proud." etc etc.

I am desperately trying to download his songs, but his website is completely jammed right now. I'll try to post a youtube video of the song.

5 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger cheapblueguitar said...

Very cute pic. I like the glasses too.

Does your shirt say "slippery"?

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice floors:)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

nice picture... like the goatee and glasses...

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger madhousesix said...

eh. seen better.





:-)

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Thank you kyle. Bamboo would have been a better choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home