Monday, July 03, 2006

Reasons why I love Flash Gordon


I am a Flash Gordon freak.

And I'm not just talking about the movie from 1980 with Sam Jones and Timothy Dalton-- although that's a major reason why. I love all things Flash. The golden era comic books, the Alex Raymond art style, the futuristic vision with art deco flair, etc.

I collect the stuff, in fact. It is the ONLY thing I collect. I am decidedly against collections and clutter. I am not one of those gay men that collects mardi gras masks and ceramic kittens and hummel figurines and tea cozies and has every square foot of their house displaying the shit 100% of the time. I have friends like that- and their 'collectiions' make me nauseous.

My house is therefore not cluttered except for dirty dishes, newspapers, clothing, unpaid bills, beer bottles, etc. You know, regular guy clutter. But for the Flash, I make an exception.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the 1980 movie in 20 years, I highly recommend a review. Especially if you are a gay man. Not only is it the good kind of campiness, it has some of the best costuming. And if you are into leather at all, the hawkmen sequences will give you a chubby.

Seriously. The leather bondage gear that criss-crosses all those musclebear chests is insane! And HOT! I gotta find out who did the costumes for this gem....

2 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Blogger cheapblueguitar said...

I remember going to see this in the movie theater with my friends. We sang the song all the way home. ("Flash...Ah..Ahhhh") Good times.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger buff said...

I rembember the movie as well. It is as hot as you describe. WOOF.
Will have to watch it again. Big hugs of appreciation. Great minds think alike.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home