Monday, November 13, 2006

Looney Tunes on a Monday


Great abs, but alas... no package.

Ok- so I was thinking about music this morning, and the tune that kept running through my head was that damn theme that's being used in the new Visa Check Card commercial. Its the commercial of all the people at the cafeteria getting meals and everying is moving in perfect sync-- until a guy decides to pay with cash. Which naturally causes the whole perfect dance to fall apart. (reminds me of the scene in the Fisher King when Grand Central Station turns into a ballroom for a brief moment).

Anyway- I love the music in the commercial. It captures 'industry' so well! And because I was raised by the tele (as so many of my generation were) I recall the music being used heavily during Looney Tunes cartoons. Any time there was busy activity going on, the music was featured.

As it turns out, it was used in like 40 warner bros cartoons.

I hear you asking, "But cb-- what is the NAME of this piece, if it even has one?" It does. Its called "Powerhouse" and it was composed by Raymond Scott back in the late 1930's. It was never meant for cartoon use-- it was a new style of composition called 'Descriptive Jazz' and was written to capture moods and images with highly scripted (less improvizational) jazz.

But as luck would have it, Mr. Scott sold the rights to his music, and a beautiful marriage was born. I mean, how perfect and catchy is his "Powerhouse" composition?

So then this led me to start googling for images from various Bugs Bunny cartoons. I was desperately trying to find a picture of the construction worker from "homeless hare". He has that really dark 5 o'clock shadow and is all hunky... God, I was so gay as a small child!

But I did find the above image of "the Crusher" pro wrestler that Bugs fights. I love the simulated ripping pants sequence. And how Crusher flexes his muscles and he has about a 24 pack. Its insanely over the top.

And then there's Gossamer. I love that damn, red haired monster. And the manicure segments. And the hairdo segments! "Monsters is the craziest peoples!"


Nobody played 'gay' like Bugs.

3 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger cola boy said...

You got that right! Bugs was gay and quite comfortable with it. Or at least a raging metrosexual.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Brettcajun said...

I'll play "gay" with you. ;)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

The one you NEVER see anymore is the "Flight of the Valkyries" -- my speaw and magic hewmet ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home